Mild Depression relief utilizing Acupuncture
There is a growing number of people who seek alternative options to treat mild depression by way of acupuncture, rather than by traditional medications. A study published in the Alternative and Complementary Medicine, found that electroacupuncture, or the process of transmitting a small electric pulse through the needles had the same effect as using Prozac. In this case they used fluoxetine as they basis for their study. The tests consisted of two groups: One using traditional Chinese medicine (acupuncture), and the other Western medicine. After a six-week span, they found that the participants who chose the Chinese therapy, actually returned their level to a normal state significantly faster than their counterparts.
What parts of Mild Depression can be treated?
There are several levels of depression that can be treated either by Western or traditional methods. This is a list of the disorders:
- Major Depression
- Persistent Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Psychotic Depression
- Postpartum Depression
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- ‘Situational’ Depression
- Atypical Depression
How long does therapy last for this disorder:
It is unclear, even to professionals in the field how long depression can, or should be expected to last. Due to the severity of the illness, it is usually based upon an individual case basis. Untreated forms of depression can have long-lasting effects, possibly lasting for years on end. Major, or Clinical depression can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 months, for example, if no treatment is in place. Most of the time Western medicine therapies include Zoloft™, Prozac™ or other antidepressants currently on the market. However,the best way to treat depression must include a combination of both to be effective.
- Exercise: Studies have shown that physical activity has a tremendous therapeutic effect, as compared to not working out. Although exercise should be started in moderation, due to the psychological effects associated with depression; your motivation is lacking, so a short walk or Yoga class might be good to start
- SAM-E and E vitamins: Use of E vitamins substantially increases brain levels in the dopamine, norepinephrine and several other neuro transmitters, and studies have shown that these levels increased by 18% over those who didn’t take them– Victoria Maizes, MD, executive director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
- St John’s Wart is an alternative to medications for several forms of depression, because it blocks the ways in which the body’s metabolism processes medications, which is particularly crucial for those who take no other medications to start with.
- Whole Foods: Foods that incorporate Omega-3 in their process (primarily fish) are beneficial to people who have depression based on the fact that it lowers their risk of depression symptoms getting worse. Fish oil is one of the ways that you can achieve this.
- Meditation, believe it or not, is a wonderful therapy that aims to alter the functions in the brain associated with depression, thus, clearing the mind and body, and restoring clarity to thought processes.
Ω Fluoxetine™ and – an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class, was discovered and developed by scientists from Eli Lilly and Company.
Edgemont Pharmaceuticals | Fluoxetine
Zoloft™ is a registered trademark of Pfizer Inc. For more information please click here
Prozac™ is a trade name for fluoxetine, a common drug used to treat depression. See above for more information.
± GDNF National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine Bethesda MD
£ Prevention | Highly Effective Treatments for Mild Depression
Prevention© magazine, published by Rodale (http://www.rodaleinc.com/content/about-us)